Creating Skins

Discuss everything related to Dream Car Racing
Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Creating Skins

Postby Wulf 359 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:27 pm

I got the editing part down, and the size is working, but the transparency is still throwing me off. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hamster1979
Average DCR member

Re: Creating Skins

Postby Hamster1979 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:59 pm

Upload one of your attempts so we can see what is going on with your saved file.

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Postby Wulf 359 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:44 pm

Files posted in the skins section. Thank you in advance for tips and help. Have put file pic in so you can see what it looks like on my end.
Blue Man on Sumo Car w Darth Vader skins.jpg
Blue Man on Sumo Car w Darth Vader skins.jpg (10.11 KiB) Viewed 5577 times

ssk16
New DCR Member

Postby ssk16 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:43 am

All skin files must be *.png.

Hamster1979
Average DCR member

Postby Hamster1979 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:42 am

You have to make sure your background layer ie. the part that is white is turned off before saving to a png file too. If you don't have that part set to a separate layer you will have to select and delete or move it to a separate layer first.

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Postby PeixeWiggles » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:21 am

First I'd ask what software are you using to edit?

I use a mixture of software. I use Jasc's paint shop pro for the main editing. (Not purchasable anymore due to being sold to Corel some years ago.) I know it's old software, but I know it and it has a lot of powerful tools at my disposal.

After I'm ready to check it out in the game, I save it as PNG. Then I open it in paint.net to handle the transparency. (Paint shop pro can do transparency, but for some reason the coding of the game does not always translate a Paint Shop Pro saved PNG correctly, so I really just use paint.net to do the transparency stuff and don't bother doing it in PSP.

The quickest way in paint.net to do transparency is to just load the file. Use the Magic Wand tool on the area you want transparent. Generally I set the tolerance to 20%, hit delete then save it again and it's good to go.

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Postby Wulf 359 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:13 am

I used the stock paint program that is installed with Windows for the graphic editing, as cannot afford a regular paint program, and haven't gone out to see what is out there for freeware yet. I will look into if it will let me save the back layer as transparent or not, and post back here. ssk16, I did specifically make sure to save as .png file type, within the program itself, not just named it that. (adding pt. 2) I checked, and it appears that my (el-cheapo) windows paint version does not have the capability to set a layer (or layers) to transparent. Guess it is an issue with the program just not having the ability it needs to do that.
Last edited by Wulf 359 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Postby PeixeWiggles » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:12 am

Wulf 359 wrote:I used the stock paint program that is installed with Windows for the graphic editing, as cannot afford a regular paint program, and haven't gone out to see what is out there for freeware yet. I will look into if it will let me save the back layer as transparent or not, and post back here. ssk16, I did specifically make sure to save as .png file type, within the program itself, not just named it that.

MSPaint does not do transparencies. That's the problem with the built-in editor. Just pick up paint.net it's free.

Here, have a link. :) http://www.getpaint.net/

You can also use Gimp, which is also free, but I've noticed the same problem I have with PSP and it doesn't always translate correct and the image looks garbled in the game. Paint.net so far has worked 100% of the time.

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Postby Wulf 359 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:24 am

PeixeWiggles wrote:MSPaint does not do transparencies. That's the problem with the built-in editor. Just pick up paint.net it's free.

Here, have a link. :) http://www.getpaint.net/

You can also use Gimp, which is also free, but I've noticed the same problem I have with PSP and it doesn't always translate correct and the image looks garbled in the game. Paint.net so far has worked 100% of the time.

Got paint.net and checking it out. Hopefully the fact that I am up well past my bed time will not brain fry me too much. TY for the recommendation Peixe.

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Postby Wulf 359 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:55 am

Here is the (work in progress) pic I posted above with appropriate edits and adjustments. (I did happy dance the next day, btw.)
Attachments
Blue Man Sumo Darth Vader Car Picture.jpg
Blue Man Sumo Darth Vader Car Picture.jpg (10.79 KiB) Viewed 5531 times

Return to “General Discussion”