bits of feedback and some suggestions.

Have ideas on how we can improve Dream Car Racing? Share your feedback and suggestions here
Hamster1979
Average DCR member

bits of feedback and some suggestions.

Postby Hamster1979 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:51 am

Played a good deal of DCR1, So I'm kind of sorry I missed the beta on this. Few bits I would have chimed in on.

Longer courses:
I really don't like having to restart after just a minutes worth of racing as I'm finding it more difficult enjoy what I built on the short runs. I also miss the distance goals and the refueling difficulty as far as design constraints go. I don't want to get into the coin issue on this as far as the race per gain ratio goes but it would at least be nice to have a long practice track even if it didn't net coins. An intermediate idea that would work with the new adjusted coin gain would be select races of different distance lengths or modes (as I noticed modes to some degree are in the game): 850m standard competition to 3200m+ endurance competitions. You could then at least match it with the gain rate from the shorter courses.

Fuel tanks and extra engines:
A bit of a strategy loss and side step from DCR1. Fuel tanks would be a good upgrade-able part for especially for endurance type races (with fueling stations) and to help balance out additional engines. Could have a few easy variables; capacity, fill speed (reduces time penalty at fueling stations).

Boosts:
Don't really like the tricks for boosts system or I'm still really not use to it not really sure yet. The wasted air time from doing a bunch of tricks doesn't seem to be recouped for the speed gain from the boosts. Auto boost basically loses all strategy in the use of boosts. Just seems like a lazy afterthought fix for the "use them or loose them" crash penalty. Not to forget to mention sometimes it makes you crash. And the loose your boosts crash penalty defeats much of the purpose of having manual boosts, if I can't save them to use them why save them at all. Boost psi rate adjustment would be nice (huge boost for a short time vs little boost for a long time per boost level) Maybe have the crash penalty only effect boost regen, so you start and crash recover in the race with a boost level equal to a portion of your base boost mod minus used in race boost amount. Or maybe a proportional loss per crash.

Turbines:
I do think these need some work but I like them. As turbines really are just a different type of engine I would take them off the boosts and use fuel tanks or no tank. If you had fuel tanks and fuel lines you could have secondary manual controls for them. Engage thrusters has a nice manual sound it. Second give the option for power output method such as: thrust (similar to current use) or mechanical linkage (like a drive chain). Fuel consumption, hp curves that could make them a lot more fun to use. look up turbine powered motorcycles and cars. As they are used now I'd just say they were rocket engines or super-boosters.

Engine and other power-train mods:
Missing common engine mods for racing games: superchargers, turbochargers, mufflers, port polishing, mufflers, performance chips, transmission tuning. A lot of fun little things that are missing for people that like to tweak values.

Garage editor:
Adjust layers - move forward layer, move backwards layer... I noticed some parts get pushed back behind other things sometimes when they would look better in front. Didn't matter in DCR1 as there were no skins.
Weight Balance - it would be nice to be able to find the center of a vehicle and see if it's front or back heavy via numbers so we can add weight if need be.
Skin market place - Think of it as a in-game market place for your user created skins. skins creator gets coin rewards in return for sales, price is set by ratings. It would be a nice way for free users to pay back efforts of paid users too. As well as fulfilling can you make me this requests.

Multi-player: It would be nice to have a couple of free user multi-player courses coin pay-in to race coin pot races. Think of it similar to DCR1 leader-board competition racing, I noticed someone else mentioning missing these too. Modes per upgrade level restrictions: (daily, Weekly, monthly) Pay in price is set via mode and time span. Winners pot gets split between say the top 5 with amounts varied via rank. Would help a little with the coin grind but not screw with the gain ratios too much as the coins are coming out of players accounts would just help move some coins around. (free-user parts restriction, paid-user parts restricted, non-restricted)

Things I like:
The skins - nice job - Move the message for not publishing skins on the cars to the actual publish window though if you really don't want them there. Spotted the notice a long time after actually publishing one.
Custom colors - Could really use hex color numbers instead of just the sliders this probably has been said before though.
Game seems to be running smoother.
The race courses seem to have improved a lot. I'm not sure if this is because they are shorter or more attention was paid to them.
I'm sure there is more that I left out.

Phone tablet phablet version:
Have you looked into this?
Using the accelerometer input from compatible devices for control. http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/dev/WSb2ba3b1aad8a27b036ae443e1221e57e23b-8000.html

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Re: bits of feedback and some suggestions.

Postby PeixeWiggles » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:05 pm

Lots of good feedback. I will touch on a few items.

I may have misread it as I just woke up and I'm still kind of sleepy, but I think you mentioned something about having an issue with Auto-boost. You can turn on Manual Boost as a setting on the Seat. I didn't like the Auto-boost at first either, but found that for the most part it doesn't matter a whole lot. Manual Boost uses the X key to boost when it is turned on. Where Manual boost becomes more important is when using turbines. Since turbines work while in the air too and with the new tricks, I found you could be upside down or in the middle of a double flip and the autoboost just completely ruined the run. It helps to get pointed in the right direction, so the manual boost was added for those who prefer to have control of their boost.

Hex or RGB values for colors has been suggested already. Roko0 did not comment directly about it. I agree with you. That just came up within the last week or so and is minor to the overall function of the game, so getting to the point of released with as few bugs as possible was probably more important. Hopefully it will be added in the future.

The length of levels no longer goes by meters. The level editor makes a little more sense of it, but the length can be from 5 to 29 checkpoints. Having done a few levels myself, designing good levels takes a long time, so I couldn't imagine designing a level that actually goes to 3000 meters. I've yet to make a 29 checkpoint level. Some of the ones I did took me a few days to complete working on it no less than 8 hours a day. If someone really wants to make that level that goes for 3000 meters, they can do it, but you'd have to do it in multiple layers. (See my level Lost, Acrobatics, or a few others) where I use a combination of forward and backwards movement to complete the level. You could functionally go on forever by adding another layer of obstacles. The only downfall is that you respawn at ground level checkpoints, not at current elevation, so you can either go back to the beginning or be propelled to the end, depending on how things were done. You can pretty much make things go higher or lower as much as you feel like designing using platforms, but from left to right in the editor is only 5 to 29 checkpoints.

Here's a pic of what "Wrong Way Home" actually looks like. The level is technically only 5 checkpoints, but the distance you travel is closer to 13 checkpoints. It has also been suggested to allow respawning at the elevation of the crash or allow level designer to pick the checkpoint spots which could be anywhere on the map that would make for better design options.

WrongWayHome.jpg
WrongWayHome.jpg (57.32 KiB) Viewed 6051 times

I've got a growing wish list myself, but if Roko0 added in everything in everyone's wishlist the game would take a lot longer to release. Some things were added, some things were not and some things are on a list of possible future features.

RoKo0
DCR Expert

Postby RoKo0 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:50 pm

I have already decided to make DCR Evo. I think it will take from 2 to 4 months.
Hex or RGB values for colors is in my todo list.

Hamster1979
Average DCR member

Postby Hamster1979 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:35 pm

PeixeWiggles wrote:
- Snipped -

I've got a growing wish list myself, but if Roko0 added in everything in everyone's wishlist the game would take a lot longer to release. Some things were added, some things were not and some things are on a list of possible future features.

You either miss read a little or I miss explained it in the boost topic. I tried it in both settings. Some of it was discussing the crash and loss of boosts. Though a fast toggle for the manual setting in the pause dialog box wouldn't be a bad idea now that you brought it up.

Good to hear about the color hex code.

I realized the game no longer used meters but I didn't have another distance term to use. Even still checkpoints seem a little abstract without time and speed variables (If you know what I mean). I can't get into the difficulty of making a good map yet as I haven't really looked into the level editor that carefully yet. Though I did poke my head in some of the courses. Knowing that there is a checkpoint system (not knowing how many are in the average race though as I never bothered counting them.) For a longer course I would suggest the easiest way to get one like I'm talking about (doesn't have to be a 3000m size) would be to add in a way to link individual smaller races together. An in game example would be say map area 1 that has races 1 and 5 in it. Instead of back tracking and making a entirely new longer map you make a smaller connector race to fit between the two races. In addition to getting a 3rd 1x sized map you also get 1 3x sized long combo map and 2x 2/3rd sized combo maps. And your not redoubling the work effort to make just one long map which is good. You could also potentially race through the entire games race maps if you did that as one long mega race or a number of super long races. Mixed area races like from jungle to city might present some interesting challenges too.

I'm fully familiar with idea bloat in game dev, I can be responsible for lots of it lol.

Roko0 some of the facebook docs you would probably need to do a facebook interface, I had them left over from a different project that was looking into it. I spotted the request in the beta thread.
http://www.facebook.com/developers/
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/authentication/
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/api
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/api/
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/fql/
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/fbml/
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/fbml/swf
http://code.google.com/p/facebook-actionscript-api/

denvk
New DCR Member

Postby denvk » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Hello! Where you can discuss suggestions in Russian? Do you plan to localization and ability to communicate? (google translate)

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Postby danieldorais » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:07 am

denvk wrote:Hello! Where you can discuss suggestions in Russian? Do you plan to localization and ability to communicate? (google translate)

There is a Russian topic under the DCR1 off topic page. СуществуетРоссии тема под DCR1 не по теме страницы. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=59

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Postby PeixeWiggles » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:16 am

denvk wrote:Hello! Where you can discuss suggestions in Russian? Do you plan to localization and ability to communicate? (google translate)

If you would like to start a new thread and call it "Russian Suggestion Thread" then I am sure Roko0 can follow it there as well.

Если вы хотите, чтобы начать новую тему и назовите его "русским Предложение Тема", то я уверен, что Roko0 можете следить за ее там же. (Google Translate)
Last edited by PeixeWiggles on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denvk
New DCR Member

Postby denvk » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:46 am

thanks!

bobfish1335
New DCR Member

non-members

Postby bobfish1335 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:54 pm

i think that non-payed members should be able to use two engens like in dcr one and mabay one angle lock

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Postby Wulf 359 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:46 pm

Think it would be cool if there were an easier way, other than having to go look up the ID, or keep a list locally, to load the player's cars from 1 and play them in 2, based on the account.

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”