More control over part layering

Have ideas on how we can improve Dream Car Racing? Share your feedback and suggestions here
PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

More control over part layering

Postby PeixeWiggles » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:53 pm

I think we need more control over which part layers on top of another part.

Here's an example. I'm creating a "Mystery Machine". When I add the custom frame graphics it looks like this...

Mystery Machine.jpg
Mystery Machine.jpg (15.36 KiB) Viewed 3648 times

Once you race it, it looks like this...

Mystery Machine2.jpg
Mystery Machine2.jpg (15.79 KiB) Viewed 3648 times

I was able to do it a slightly different way using angle locks instead of the cross beams, but it makes the vehicle too unstable. The only way I could get it to be stable enough was to use the cross beams, but they are always layering on top of the custom graphics.

If you want to play with it, it's currently ID: 431.

Hamster1979
Average DCR member

Re: More control over part layering

Postby Hamster1979 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:24 pm

I'd agree, noticed that earlier with some of the other parts. I had mentioned move forward and move back layer commands in one of the other posts but maybe something as simple as an always on top check box would work too though.

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Postby PeixeWiggles » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Hamster1979 wrote:I'd agree, noticed that earlier with some of the other parts. I had mentioned move forward and move back layer commands in one of the other posts but maybe something as simple as an always on top check box would work too though.

The always on top checkbox would work, but would still need a means of prioritizing it. If two that are checked are overlapping, which one takes precedence? At least that way, I could have the cross members not checked and get the proper frames on top.

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Postby PeixeWiggles » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:33 pm

*Smacks self in head* In this case, I can just use an "invisible frame" Place the frame and have just have a png of the physical size of a frame, it just doesn't have any graphics, so it doesn't show. Although, I can see situations where layering is important for visible parts and graphics.

Hamster1979
Average DCR member

Postby Hamster1979 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 pm

At least you found a bit of a work around. I had thought about a simple ID layer system 1 being at front higher numbers at back after I posted the reply but haven't mucked around with the fills beyond hey look you can do fills due to some of the perceived limitations.

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Postby PeixeWiggles » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:35 am

Hamster1979 wrote:At least you found a bit of a work around. I had thought about a simple ID layer system 1 being at front higher numbers at back after I posted the reply but haven't mucked around with the fills beyond hey look you can do fills due to some of the perceived limitations.

Well.... I've been playing around with it some more and I think we may have a little more control than it originally appeared. It seems to be that the last part placed has a higher foreground priority. Granted, you then have to build with parts you want in the back first and then the parts you want up front last, but that seems to do the trick.

I just replaced new frame pieces and gave them the graphics for the side of the van and it kept the appearance as it should without the need for invisible frame pieces.

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Postby PeixeWiggles » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:13 am

Here's the final product. Yeah sure I could have spent more time and filled other areas in as well, but I got irritated with Scooby and his backward knees trying to get it to display somewhat right. :) LOL I said, screw it, good enough.

Mystery Machine 3.jpg
Mystery Machine 3.jpg (15.43 KiB) Viewed 3627 times

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”