Level editor feedback and suggestions.

Have ideas on how we can improve Dream Car Racing? Share your feedback and suggestions here
Hamster1979
Average DCR member

Level editor feedback and suggestions.

Postby Hamster1979 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:31 am

I got around to finally starting to play a little in the level editor.

First thought the GUI needs a bit of work. Hovering the mouse pointer over a position of the map should give you an (X,Y) coordinate. I was finding it difficult to just imagine elevation of a bump, hill, or mountain based on relative sizing and appearance at zoom levels. I'd also rather have a tool box then have to switch between modes constantly and function keys constantly. i.e. I shouldn't have to hit help every time I want to remember a function. Settings mode should just be handled via drop down boxes, check-boxes, and sliders in a pop up text-box window.

A way to group a set of points into a map object and then copy and paste map objects would be really useful. You could then drag and snap the start or end point of a map object to the start or end point of a curve or drawn line. If you could import and export map objects it would be even better since you could then share them or save them for use in other tracks with out having to redraw them. It could use a few predefined trick objects i,e ones that are popular but difficult to really map out in repetition. You could treat those just like map objects.

The start point, checkpoints, and Finish points need to be a little better marked in the editor. They currently get so small when zoomed out you can't see them. Perhaps a colored marker guide line would work better than just the dot.

Handling crashes and start points at above or below ground level elevations should be fixed. Maybe this could be mapped on screen via dragged boxes i.e. crash in this zone restarts at checkpoint X.

Bridges - Rope bridges, and solid structure bridges. It would be nice if the bridges were fixed so you could use them in conjunction with platforms right now the car's explode when they go under them. ( I had to try it.)

Custom backgrounds might be nice. night and Day option for predefined terrains.

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Re: Level editor feedback and suggestions.

Postby PeixeWiggles » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:06 pm

A good lot of that has already been suggested during the beta test phase. Roko0 did not comment directly on it, but I do understand that those suggestions would have taken programming time into multiple additional months to release. Hopefully there will be changes like that in the future.

I've said it before, but I'll put it here too just for good measure. I would also like to see multi-point polygons (in addition to the platforms) with the option to bezier curve before and/or after each point on the polygon. This would allow for smoother u-turn or backward jumps transitions. As it is, it is either choppy or you have to use 6-9 platforms for a quarter circle to seem smooth.

Hamster1979
Average DCR member

Postby Hamster1979 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:08 pm

Generally during beta's you don't expect much to really to get added in beyond the small easy to change things, typo's and bug fixes. The coders normally do that type of thing during stable alpha testing (didn't see one done). Which isn't a bad idea for any game project because it does set a limit to what will get worked on and what will be put off for updates or future versions i.e clear goals and sets priorities for RC testing prior to releases. I was actually surprised when it was released so soon. I'm hoping that via posting this stuff here even if it gets repetitive that maybe it will get updated on DCR2 and carried over to DCR1 EVO and perhaps back again before maybe a actual combined game as I like aspects of both of them (DCR Ultra?). The editor though to me feels very unrefined though and I understand that could be his first attempt at it via published version to which I would applaud him just out of taking it to fruition. I'd still like to see it a little more completed though.

I'd love to see some-type of sub-game worked in with the level editor that is a little better than coins eared via 10+ rating. Maybe have a user island and limit the number of published race tracks kind of like a theme park game. Earn track coins based on visitors. Unlock and upgrade stuff via coin turn out and ratings. In so much you kind of urge people to get better at developing their own tracks while not limiting them too much. No reason you couldn't have PeixeWiggles land of the lost or Hamsters trash dump. You could even swap out the highest rated tracks for use for free users. Little extra competition never hurts.

I'd love to be able to take an object and take a picture of it and then add it into the game as an obstacle by drawling a path around it. Like a crushed soda can or something like that.

I'd suggest using a bug tracker next time too something like: http://www.bugzilla.org/ slightly off topic but it does work well.

I agree multi-point polygons would work great though I'm not sure if line pen tools for curves would be easy to pick up for non graphics people. As far as detail work though you can't really go wrong with that if you know what your doing.

Ratings needs to be adjusted as well: (for consideration):
Difficulty (1 to 10)
Appearance (1 to 10)
Enjoyment (1 to 10 )
previous rating ( auto calc ) , give option to update a pub. track.
Just avg them together.

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Postby PeixeWiggles » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:25 pm

Lots of good stuff...

I've also put out that you should get some kind of reward for completing user-made tracks. As it is, there is no incentive to play them other than the desire to play a user-made track. If you win, you don't get anything for it.

I would also like to see room creation done more like an actual user's room. As it is now, Anyone can create a room named Wiggle Racing, then when someone searches for the Wiggle Racing room, their levels will show up. A room should be locked down to the individual who created the room. I can see the need for permissions to allow someone else or a group of people also publish to your room in the event of a collaboration of levels to create a multi-level series of tracks, but that should be the exception. Generally you wouldn't want people putting levels in your room.

Right now, you can also add other people's levels to your room or create a new room for other people's levels. Maybe it's just me, but I would rather not have other people creating rooms with my levels. Some of the rooms are designed, published and restrictions given based on the design of the level. IE: Wings and Turbines would allow for cheating the course as it's intended to be driven. When someone else uses your levels the way it's currently designed, they can remove all restrictions or set their own restrictions. I understand the original intent of this was to allow people to setup challenges for the default levels. Much like people would post challenges in the forum, this way you can set up challenges based on the restrictions. Nice concept as it applies to the default levels yes, but as it applies to user-made levels, it's not the same. Especially the ones that took me hours and hours to work on. Cat on a hot tin roof took me about 15 hours per day over 3 days straight. (I was on vacation) :) Although, to allow wings and turbines would enable people to fly right over a lot of the course completely defeating the multi-teered path structure. Nah, I'd just much prefer if I created the level, then only I can put it in a room, and the rooms to be more user specific.

Hamster1979 wrote:I'd love to be able to take an object and take a picture of it and then add it into the game as an obstacle by drawling a path around it. Like a crushed soda can or something like that.

Custom obstacles based on a graphic? That would be cool.

We did also suggest ability to add custom graphics to a level. I'd like to put signs in some of the levels, but really anything could be a custom graphic. (A non-obstacle custom graphic, so the car would go through it.)

Hamster1979 wrote:I agree multi-point polygons would work great though I'm not sure if line pen tools for curves would be easy to pick up for non graphics people. As far as detail work though you can't really go wrong with that if you know what your doing.

I don't think that "line pen tools" would be a problem. After all, a bezier curve is what the ground is. You don't have to call it by that name. Each point on the polygon would simply have one of 4 options to it. Straight, Curve Before, Curve After or Curve Both. Straight would give you your sharp corners, Curve before and after would give you a sharp corner that curves before or after and both would be a curve like the ground is now. It's not really a hard concept to grasp. Although, that could come from years of using the real Jasc Paint Shop Pro and doing all sorts of graphics manipulation. (I note I referred to it as the real Jasc Paint Shop Pro because Corel really screwed it up since they bought it from Jasc and now it is nothing like Paint Shop Pro. It's more like, Photo Enhancement Pro. ) Although, I still use version 7 and will probably until the technology surpasses being able to run it on the OS platform.

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”