Problems loading cars from DCR since DCR 2 came out

Discuss everything related to Dream Car Racing
Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Problems loading cars from DCR since DCR 2 came out

Postby Wulf 359 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:34 pm

For those that have noticed an issue trying to load cars from DCR based on links in chat, I have noticed something that seems to have an effect on it. There are 2 different styles of links being posted. See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=197 to see what I mean. Peixe's first link comes up with the usual DCR 2 primary page where you cannot load the linked car. The second post, which has the index.html part in there allows you to get to the DCR play screen, as before, but lets you open that to show the car design. (Also posting this in bug reports where this issue was brought up.)

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Re: Problems loading cars from DCR since DCR 2 came out

Postby danieldorais » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:52 pm

Wow, nice catch.

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Postby Wulf 359 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:40 pm

danieldorais wrote:Wow, nice catch.

Gee, this looks familiar.

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Postby PeixeWiggles » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:55 am

Wulf 359 wrote:For those that have noticed an issue trying to load cars from DCR based on links in chat, I have noticed something that seems to have an effect on it. There are 2 different styles of links being posted. See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=197 to see what I mean. Peixe's first link comes up with the usual DCR 2 primary page where you cannot load the linked car. The second post, which has the index.html part in there allows you to get to the DCR play screen, as before, but lets you open that to show the car design. (Also posting this in bug reports where this issue was brought up.)

That is because in most cases a domain level address automatically implies that it's file is index.html.... or index.something. Hosts default it to the index file, but it can be changed. When Roko0 launched DCR2, rather than keeping the default index.html, he changed it to default to loading dcr2-index.html. That way the DCR1 index.html stuff will still work. However, any link posted that does not include index.html in the link will be broken, because the site is now referring to dcr2-index.html as it's home file to load when no file is specified.

There is no way around that or he will have to fix the thousands of cars on the DCR1 Browse Car page. It's easier to leave them be and have the forum posts not work if they don't include the index.html in the link. Knowing this, it's easy to manually add that in when going there, but your average person wouldn't considering anything but clicking the link.

It's not something that can be fixed without going through every post to everyone's links, which I don't see anyone wanting to do.

It might be something Roko0 could write a server side script to go through the forum database and change the links through a script, but I think that's a bit much for broken forum post links.

Return to “General Discussion”