Game is dead...

Discuss everything related to Dream Car Racing Evo
jib1000
New DCR Member

Game is dead...

Postby jib1000 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:13 pm

It's a shame this game died. I really liked it. Sad i gave you guys some of my money too. =(

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Re: Game is dead...

Postby danieldorais » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:47 pm

jib1000 wrote:It's a shame this game died. I really liked it. Sad i gave you guys some of my money too. =(

The game is not dead, RoKo0 is working on DCR3D.

PeixeWiggles
DCR moderator

Postby PeixeWiggles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:47 am

I would also add that....

Knowing that RoKo0 is working on DCR3D, I've now earned a whole lot more respect for what he's doing and the amount of time it is taking to do it. I've spent about the last 2 months learning what I could about Unreal Engine 4. That is one of the 3 main 3D application developing packages. The other two are CryEngine and Unity, of which I've barely touched either one of those, but do have them installed. There is a whole lot that goes into making a game, much less being the only person working on it.

Just what I've seen in the videos alone would probably take me the next 5 years to accomplish. From DCR1 to DCR2 to EVO was pretty quick. Yes. But the main structure was already there. It was just a matter of modifying the existing structure to accommodate for 2's race style or EVO's combination between the two. Then having built quite a few tracks for DCR2 myself, it's pretty easy to see just how quick it can be done. The level designing is the easy part.

Here's the hard part with 3D. 3D requires full 3D models, which must be done outside of the game engine. I'm not sure exactly which Engine RoKo0 is using, but if I had to take a guess, I would say it's probably Unity, but could be CryEngine. I only say Unity because it's the most popular. With Unity, you can do level editing in the editor, but the actual programming side of things is handled by Visual Studio. Then any 3D objects you want in the game is handled by a 3D modeling application like Blender, 3DSmax, Maya or possibly even Cinema 4D. Right there you have 3 different applications to learn the ins and outs of before you can even begin making something half way usable. That isn't even counting animations. Most of the programmers I've come across use the animation abilities in 3DSmax, but there are many different ways to animate, which may or may not require even additional software to animate the meshes you've created in the 3D modeling application.

Consider this. Roko0 is doing the job of multiple people. Level Designer, Programmer, Animator, 3D modeler, Graphics designer and so on and so on. Remember this is one man learning and doing the job of many different people. Yes, consumers demand new product right now, but they never consider what it actually takes to do what they're asking. I began 2 months ago. I don't expect to be anywhere near ready for testing for the next 2-5 years. And that is assuming that I'm sticking with Unreal Engine 4. I very well may switch over to Unity due to it's vast Marketplace in comparison to UE4 or CryEngine. I need to spend a bit more time in it myself. At this point, the amount of information to learn was so overwhelming that I decided to take a break and do a little mindless game playing to let my brain cool off from all the overload I've been making it do. :) LOL

Be patient my friends. DCR3D is coming. It may take longer than you want, but it is coming. You will have to be patient for it though. There's a lot more that goes into a 3D game than goes into a 2D game and I'm sure there's been a learning curve as well. Much respect Roko0, much respect.

See ya when the game comes out.

RoKo0
DCR Expert

Postby RoKo0 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:42 am

jib1000 wrote:It's a shame this game died. I really liked it. Sad i gave you guys some of my money too. =(

I decided that people who have bought one of the DCR games, will get Dream Car Racing 3D for free, because they supported me when I developed DCR 3D.

Return to “General Discussion”