In-depth engines

Have ideas on how we can improve Dream Car Racing? Share your feedback and suggestions here
tfaith08
Average DCR member

In-depth engines

Postby tfaith08 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:42 pm

I love these games, namely DCR 1 and DCR Evo. However, I feel as though the engine department is lacking.

While this may incur quite a bit of development, I'm willing to pay $6-$10 for another version of the game that includes these features.

The basic engines would be as simple a 2-stroke twin and 4-stroke twin. Upgrades would be simple and somewhat inline with the basic format of the game, only with more upgrades with fewer upgrade levels. The inclusion of a tachometer would be nice, but is not a requirement in my book. Simplicity is key here. A more complex set of parameters would mean quite a bit of development time.

Both engine classes would have 3 levels of each part, with accuracy respective to real-world applications being somewhat used. Again, I'm thinking of simplicity.

2-stroke twin:

Base of 20hp
Revs to 9000rpm

Filter:
1- 5% increase in power
2- 12% increase in power
3- 20% increase in power

Pipe
1- 20% increase in power
2- 40% increase in power
3- 60% increase in power

Crankshaft
1- 10% increase in power
2- 25% increase in power
3- 40% increase in power

Big bore
1- 10% increase in power
2- 25% increase in power
3- 40% increase in power

Porting
1- 20% increase in power
2- 35% increase in power
3- 50% increase in power

Reeds
1- 5% increase in power
2- 7% increase in power
3- 10% increase in power

Domes
1- 5% increase in power
2- 12% increase in power
3- 20% increase in power

Carburetors
1- 5% increase in power
2- 12% increase in power
3- 20% increase in power

Fuel choice
1-Race gas - 15% increase in power
2-Methanol - 30% increase in power
3-Nitromethane/methanol - 60% increase in power (not accurate - substantially lower than real world numbers)

Full upgrades would put the 2-stroke at 179hp, which is relatively close to the current in-game number. These upgrades represent a somewhat accurate (slightly inflated) amount of power to be seen from real world upgrades to 2-stroke engines. The fuel choices would affect the mileage (effective by reducing tank size) negatively, yet provide a difference in power. The highest level of fuel upgrade would provide 286hp with fuel range cut in half.

4-stroke twin:

Base of 25hp
revs to 8000rpm

Filter:
1- 5% increase in power
2- 12% increase in power
3- 20% increase in power

Pipe
1- 15% increase in power
2- 20% increase in power
3- 25% increase in power

Crankshaft
1- 10% increase in power
2- 25% increase in power
3- 40% increase in power

Big bore
1- 10% increase in power
2- 25% increase in power
3- 40% increase in power

Porting
1- 20% increase in power
2- 30% increase in power
3- 40% increase in power

Cams
1- 10% increase in power
2- 15% increase in power
3- 20% increase in power

Heads
1- 15% increase in power
2- 30% increase in power
3- 45% increase in power

Carburetors
1- 5% increase in power
2- 12% increase in power
3- 20% increase in power

Pistons
1- 5% increase in power
2- 12% increase in power
3- 20% increase in power

Fuel choice
1-Race gas - 15% increase in power
2-Methanol - 30% increase in power
3-Nitromethane/methanol - 60% increase in power (not accurate - substantially lower than real world numbers)

Again, this would leave the final upgrade to 179hp. It would cost more to upgrade this type to full output, but it would start off at a power advantage.
OP was drunk. All is forgiven.

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Re: In-depth engines

Postby danieldorais » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:05 pm

I like where you are going with the different types of engines. Who doesn't like more upgrades!?! The only thing I don't like is the hp numbers. Why not have a V4 and V8 that start at 40hp and 600hp and end at 500hp and 10000hp respectively. This isn't unrealistic considering that v8 dragsters powered by nitromethane put out 10000hp. I like how fuel choice dictates mileage but upgrades (to the engine) do not. This idea should be considered for DCR3D.

tfaith08
Average DCR member

Postby tfaith08 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:56 pm

I'd agree that more power would be a nice option, but with the XC style of game that it is, I personally don't see a need for more than what is currently available. The higher level tracks that have jumps well into the higher elevations would be long overshot with 50x the current hp levels. It'd be cool to have the unlimited hp potential though. I know that I've built cars that had to use 3 engines before. Cutting it to one would be pretty cool for weight savings.

While engines do make in excess of 1200hp per cylinder on the nitro-methane/methanol mixes ran in top fuel, that could imply a complete revamping of the game's tracks. My big thing was to make it simple on the developers. Once they got the ball rolling with this, the small tweaks and changes in future versions would make realism even better.

On another note, the engines sound horrible. I would be willing to go out and record some engine sounds from my race quad (twin 2-stroke) that the developers could use for the engine sounds. I have recording equipment and could master the sounds or send raw tracks. Waddya think, devs? Eh? EH?!

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Postby Wulf 359 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:38 pm

tfaith08 wrote:developers

Did RoKo0 clone himself that we were not aware of? As far as I knew, he was running this solo.

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Postby danieldorais » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:32 pm

I think RoKoO has some family/friends helping him with the early beta testing. Mikhail and Dmitry are in the credits in all the games.

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Postby Wulf 359 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:41 pm

danieldorais wrote:I think RoKoO has some family/friends helping him with the early beta testing. Mikhail and Dmitry are in the credits in all the games.

No, I mean as far as developers, not sure beta testers fall into that category, although developers could help beta test.

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Postby danieldorais » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Wulf 359 wrote:
danieldorais wrote:I think RoKoO has some family/friends helping him with the early beta testing. Mikhail and Dmitry are in the credits in all the games.

No, I mean as far as developers, not sure beta testers fall into that category, although developers could help beta test.

Nope, its just RoKo0.

tfaith08
Average DCR member

Postby tfaith08 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:20 am

RoKo0, if you want me to send some audio files, let me know. I have a V4 recording ready to go (and it sounds sexy as hell) and can get the twin 2-stroke recorded fairly quickly. It won't hurt my feelings if you don't use them, I just want to help with DCR3D.

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Postby Wulf 359 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:35 am

tfaith08 wrote:RoKo0, if you want me to send some audio files, let me know. I have a V4 recording ready to go (and it sounds sexy as hell) and can get the twin 2-stroke recorded fairly quickly. It won't hurt my feelings if you don't use them, I just want to help with DCR3D.

You could also buy a Harley, and when you get done with the recording, send it (the actual bike) on to me. I would be willing to be nice and let you do that. ( :P )

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”