Suspension design 101

New to the game? This is the board for you!
tfaith08
Average DCR member

Suspension design 101

Postby tfaith08 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:04 am

I have a pretty long history in ATV cross country racing which lends a lot to my knowledge of suspension design. I'll be as brief and thorough as possible with all of this.

The basic idea is of suspension isn't only to soak up bumps and hold the car in place so much as it is to keep the vehicle in as static a motion as possible while over every terrain. That may seem elementary, but so many of the cars that I see have too many shocks per wheel with no weight to justify it. That makes the car very reactive to every jump and crest and will very often cause a forward or rearward roll, resulting in the end of a run on a particular track.

Step 1: Determine the pivot points. This is where the arms (swingarm or trailing arms, etc.) mount to the chassis.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (27.2 KiB) Viewed 4526 times

Whatever length you choose, you need to add a second arm of the same length.

Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (27.9 KiB) Viewed 4526 times

It is very important to have your shock mounting locations the same length from he pivot point of the arms on the chassis. The best way to make sure this happens is to make the arms the maximum length for the upgrade level that they are. After that, add your shock and some reinforcing rails or an angle lock to the chassis. I'd prefer to add an engine in this location, but that's preference. After that, add your tire and chain.

Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (43.84 KiB) Viewed 4526 times

You can mirror this design to the front. Keep in mind that a chassis this small with a higher level engine will be a handfull in technical spots. Be sure to read suspension design 102 when I finish in about half an hour.
OP was drunk. All is forgiven.

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Re: Suspension design 101

Postby danieldorais » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:06 am

Great guides, thanks for posting!

Return to “Beginner's Guide”