Suspension Design 103

New to the game? This is the board for you!
tfaith08
Average DCR member

Suspension Design 103

Postby tfaith08 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:00 am

Leaving off with the previous topic of gull-wing arms, I'll cover how I design my front ends. This may get a bit complex, so I'll design the arms only. You'll have to build them into your chassis.

Capture9.PNG
Capture9.PNG (56.36 KiB) Viewed 8586 times

It is extremely important that you hit "optimize shock position" once you reach step 4.

The primary reason for the design was when I'd hit some small, steep bumps, my car would flip forward. If the angle of the bump is 90° or greater than the angle of the original arm for the front tire, this will usually happen. This modification allows a relatively subtle increase in angle, but this covers just about every bump in game if you hit them right. This greatly reduces the chances of flipping forward from hitting a small bump.

It also allows you to increase your wheel travel by a moderate amount (20-30% or so), but does require a much stiffer spring rate on both shocks. This occurs any time 2 shocks are used in this or a similar manner. I'm running 86 on the top spring and 60 on the bottom on my main car. If you'd like to try this suspension setup out, the car ID is 245. It needs some fine adjustment as this car is an earlier version of the car, but you'll get the idea.

DUAL RATE SUSPENSION

This allows a softer spring rate to soak up small bumps and a harder one to keep from bottoming out on larger jumps all at once. Typical high end off-road suspension is offered in dual, triple, or quadruple spring rates, but this game requires 2 shocks to do so.

It's bed time, but I'll answer any questions anyone has tomorrow. I'd like for this to turn into a discussion, but I don't see that happening.

My latest version of my main car is 897. It has the most travel I've used out of any car and is tuned for DUMP track. It doesn't use the gull-wing rear suspension as I can't make it strong enough to handle dual rate suspension. The front stands up just fine, but give it a try. MAKE SURE TO SAVE YOUR CAR BEFORE YOU LOAD MINE!
OP was drunk. All is forgiven.

RedRavenRuler
New DCR Member

Re: Suspension Design 103

Postby RedRavenRuler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:49 am

Awesome ideas in all 3 of these! I built a sweet crawler using this dual system described here. I'm looking to maybe make it a triple system. I'll continue tinkering and post my results.

jeremy
DCR Expert

Postby jeremy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:10 am

Kudos, Great designs,

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Postby danieldorais » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:15 am

Yes, really good design. 897 has ridiculous travel but tends to flip over. Can anyone design a good rocker arm style suspension? Here is my attempt: http://dreamcarracing.com/dcr3-index.html?carid=1591

RedRavenRuler
New DCR Member

Postby RedRavenRuler » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:29 pm

So after some testing and tweaking I feel I've improved upon the original design in post 1. I'll try to keep the explanation as simple as possible.

So here's a picture first for reference:

moon crawler suspension.png
moon crawler suspension.png (237.5 KiB) Viewed 8529 times

As you can see I started with the exact design listed above. After that I added an angle shock where the tire originally was. I then extended the frame using triangles as they are the strongest. 2 extra shocks plus the angle shock make for a 5 rate set up that eats through even the roughest terrain. The spring rates are as follows for my setup:

moon crawler suspension with rates.png
moon crawler suspension with rates.png (221.79 KiB) Viewed 8529 times

I have found myself stuck on steep mountain peaks from time to time, but I plan on adding 2 more motors and wheels to the setup the fix that once I can afford it. The current version of this build is uploaded and its number is - 2050

Let me know what you all think!

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Postby danieldorais » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:08 am

Raven, I used your car, and it is really good at absorbing bumps, however it seems to hit this part:
bottom out.gif
bottom out.gif (124 KiB) Viewed 8485 times
on every jump. Other than that, it is a really good hybrid spring design.

Kohlenstoff
Average DCR member

Postby Kohlenstoff » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:31 pm

The suspensions of this game are way too weak to take the everyday bumps.

I created this one here:

http://dreamcarracing.com/dcr3-index.html?carid=5238

I required 5 full hardness (4 normal and a angle shock) suspensions on every wheel to absorb a noticable amount of impacts. But even this is still too few. But it does it's job as you can see on those action images.
Attachments
Unbenannt2.JPG
Unbenannt2.JPG (68.43 KiB) Viewed 8456 times

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Postby danieldorais » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:41 am

Kohlenstoff, your car does absorb large impacts well. However, it is very bouncy over smaller bumps. Surely someone can design a car that is stable over small bumps yet is not slapping the chassis too much on big jumps.

Kohlenstoff
Average DCR member

Postby Kohlenstoff » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:16 am

This one was made to be for any terrain. It not meant to be the best in a single aspect, its meant to be good in as many aspects as possible. I focused in this one especially on jumping and landing behavior on angles and really rough landscape. Tryout a no boost race against a full suspended car on different conditions and see the difference. It drives not automatically, but it is fast almost everywhere and does rarely tip over too fast, so that no roof is required.

RedRavenRuler
New DCR Member

Postby RedRavenRuler » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:19 pm

I've been trying to tweak my design but It's proving difficult to not hit the chassis. A huge part of this is that you can only link a single the Angle Lock to any given point and that restricts the amount of options available. I'll keep testing though.

Return to “Beginner's Guide”