copying

Have ideas on how we can improve Dream Car Racing? Share your feedback and suggestions here

Dream car racing should block people from copying cars

yes
22%
no
78%

Total votes: 9

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Re: copying

Postby Wulf 359 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:00 am

jon_joy_1999 wrote:I don't know if blocking a copy is the most ideal system, because it won't stop someone from copying your design in other ways, and it constrains progression of concepts.
I propose adding a "Created by" tag to cars. The first time a car is saved the CreatorID and OriginalCarID is saved with the car, and would be displayed next to the author information as "Created by: Creator", optionally with a link to the original car.
The Created by tag is immutable. If Player A creates car A, and then Player B copies it to car A.b, and then player C copies car A.b to A.c, A.c will still display Player A and car A as the original.
Finally, when a Creator loads a car that is listed as created by them, they have an option of removing the CreatorID and OriginalCarID information, so copied cars will no longer be associated with them.

In concept, good idea. However, it is still very easy to bypass this (and I have done so with some of "my" designs (credit given when known to the original creator as best I could anyway)) by looking at the car and putting the parts together separate from that actual design ID, just based on a visual of the car. Obviously this doesn't necessarily copy the settings but it is not hard to at least get a starting point from just that, and totally bypass giving the design creator credit.

That being said, there are some ideas that are just basic, and while not intentional, may end up just being another person's view of how to solve a particular problem, even though the second person was not copying the first.

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Postby Wulf 359 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:01 am

danieldorais wrote:
jeremy wrote:Is anybody upset about my cars lately? I am giving credit to the originals. I really hope the creators like them.

No, you still make the best cars. You just need to rob fort knox to afford them :)

I wonder how many times daniel has had to do this to afford jeremy's cars.

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Postby danieldorais » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:00 am

Wulf 359 wrote:
danieldorais wrote:
jeremy wrote:Is anybody upset about my cars lately? I am giving credit to the originals. I really hope the creators like them.

No, you still make the best cars. You just need to rob fort knox to afford them :)

69 times. They blamed north korea every time. :x

Sorry if this is incredibly racist.

Wulf 359
DCR Expert

Postby Wulf 359 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:12 am

danieldorais wrote:
Wulf 359 wrote:
danieldorais wrote:No, you still make the best cars. You just need to rob fort knox to afford them :)

69 times. They blamed north korea every time. :x

Sorry if this is incredibly racist.

Not at all, unless they change the name to Fort Sony. (removed inner most quote to make the system let me post this. If you want to know what was removed, read the posts above.)

danieldorais
DCR moderator

Postby danieldorais » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Wulf 359 wrote:
Not at all, unless they change the name to Fort Sony. (removed inner most quote to make the system let me post this. If you want to know what was removed, read the posts above.)

Sony didnt have enough money, so I had to move on to fort knox.

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”